Fall 2014 Internship Program
Best Attendance will again be running its internship program for 2014. This is an excellent opportunity for you to gain direct experience working on a Software-As-A-Service web application being used by nonprofits across the county.
Open Position: PHP Developer Intern
Best Attendance has an opening for a PHP Developer Intern. This is a 20 hour per week position which will run Fall Semester 2014, with a possibility for extension to Spring Semester 2015. This position is for a bright student who is passionate about programming, has some web development experience, and is looking to learn and expand their skill set.
What To Expect
You will be working four hours per day, Monday through Friday. You’ll work independently from wherever you want – work from home, a coffee shop, a library, or wherever you feel that you work best. There will be daily meetings with your supervisor either by phone or in person. You will be working on new features as well as helping with bug fixes and usability updates.
In addition to expanding your coding skills, this internship gives you the opportunity to work in all stages of the software development life cycle. Best Attendance has a mature development process, and you’ll be working with the latest tools.
All candidates must have the following qualifications:
- Solid understanding of object oriented programming concepts.
- Proficiency creating object oriented applications with PHP5.
- Experience in a modern, object-oriented PHP MVC framework, such as: Zend, Symfony2, Laravel, CakePHP, Yii, Silex, Slim, CodeIgnitor, Aura, or another modern framework (Ruby on Rails experience also counts!).
- Experience with jQuery and AJAX.
- A solid understanding of database design concepts (you can create a schema in third normal form).
- Some experience with MySQL.
- At least two years of post-secondary education completed.
- Evidence of the above, such as school assignments, side projects, or other code samples that you can show during the interview.
Extra consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
- Extensive experience with jQuery.
- Experience creating Ajax-enabled web pages.
- Experience with version control systems such as git, Mercurial, or Subversion.
- Previous software development experience, either with your own side projects, freelancing, or as an employee.
Benefits and Compensation
This is a 20 hour per week, 14 week contract position with flexible hours and competitive compensation. There is a strong possibility that the position will extend to Spring Semester 2015.
How To Apply
Interviews will take place in early or mid March. To apply, please send us a copy of the following:
- Cover letter
- Optional: If possible, provide links to, samples of, or evidence of any previous work, including: personal websites, freelancing projects, or school assignments.
Please be prepared to show a sample of your work or to complete a simple coding exercise during the interview.
About Best Attendance
Best Attendance is an online tool for nonprofits to manage membership rosters, schedule events, communicate, and take attendance online. The business began in 2004 as a desktop application, and an online version was released in January 2011. The business has enjoyed steady growth and is running the internship program for the third year in a row. Find more information at http://bestattendance.com.